Saturday, November 20, 2010

Ironman Eve

I've been remiss in posting... I realize.  I've been preoccupied with work, training, family, and general life. 

Here we are, Ironman eve.  How do I feel?  I've been feeling pretty good, physically.  I know I'm a good athlete.  I know I have trained correctly for this.  I have raced enough this year to believe I have a good idea of how I will feel during a race (up to a point).  I have enjoyed the training.  I have lots of friends and acquaitenances who will be there cheering for me tomorrow.  I have a good understanding of how I COULD do if I feel good throughout the race. If I feel good...

But I don't know what it's like to put myself through 11 hours of high quality workouts straight. 
I don't know what it's like to stop during a race to use the bathroom. 
I don't know how I'm going to handle a hungry pit in my stomach. 
I don't know how I'm going to handle the worn out legs on mile 15 of the run, after 112 miles on the bike. 
I don't know how tired the swim is going to make me. 
I don't know what's it's like to swim with 2500 other eager, nervous racers in 63 degree water. 
I don't know how I'm going to handle getting onto the bike when it's 50 degrees and drizzling (where are we anyway, this is supposed to be PHOENIX!). 
These are all conditions that I have not dealt with.  There are MANY! 

In general, I'm feeling good, but we'll see... 

No comments:

Post a Comment