Saturday, June 12, 2010

Deuces Wild Half Ironman

One week ago today I completed my first half Ironman in Show Low, AZ.  Tough course, at 6000 ft elevation.  Record high temps in mid-90s. 

I felt rested and ready heading into the race.  Had a great swim - 37.5 minutes, compared to my goal of 40-45 minutes.  20th out of the water.  Feeling good!  Got onto the bike and had a pretty good ride, although my last 10 miles my HR was down and my legs were burning.  My avg speed was 20.6.  Then coming out of transition, my quads were hurting and I was feeling dizzy and nauseous. I ran 12:12 pace miles, after spending a LOT of time at aid stations and walking.  UGH!

Very frustrating.  My coach believes I dehydrated, so I'm working on improving my hydration and my eating in races.  This is why you do so many races - good training for what you need to work on!

Next time!

In the meantime, Tyson has a knock out race... finished 30 minutes better than he expected and had a great, breakout run.  Very exciting :)

No comments:

Post a Comment